On 3 Sep 2004 at 22:11, KF Etzold wrote:

> Dr. Fink;
>
> I am disappointed by the somewhat insulting tone of your note. First
> of all you seem to have trouble distinguishing the difference between
> inanimate matter and living things. Second, my note was not meant
> justify murder but rather point out in a philosophical way the destiny
> of living things as opposed to the fate of  molecules organic or
> otherwise. So perhaps it would behoove you to provide an accurate
> definition of life, death and murder of many different types of living
> things. One other question: What is cell division?
>
> My original note was intended to have dialogue on living things,
> instead you chose the most narrow view one could take.
>
> K. F. Etzold cg Carline

I understand your position quite well.  It is my opinion that there are two
classes of "living things" when it comes to medical research.  There are
humans and non-humans.  One can (as long as one follows "humane"
guidelines) employ non-human life in such research without getting "consent"
of the subjects (since they, presumably cannot give rational consent); but, in
the case of human beings, the rules are different.  This disjunction (between
human and non-human) may be proper, or it may not be.

To use a cell or group of cells which have a complete nucleus of human
components, including human DNA, is, in my opinion, the use of a human
being.  I do not consider a sperm cell or an egg cell to be a complete human
being (and so, I do not object to contraception which prevents the union of
ovum and sperm), but once a zygote has been formed (and perhaps
implanted), such is a human being and thus is entitled to all of the rights of a
human being.

In today's research atmosphere, the subject of stem cell research has become a
highly-politicized issue.  We do not have proof (as of yet) that stem cells are
of any value whatsoever in the host of diseases for which they are touted (the
big push with Alzheimer's disease is an example), and those of us who believe
that zygotes are human beings are being intensely disrespected by others who,
perhaps jaded by our current attitudes towards "abortion on demand", look
upon embryonic stem cell work as working with a "blob of tissue".  The
abortionists call the babies who are aborted (often right up until term)
"products of conception".

Although I would want the best treatment for any loved one of mine who had
Parkinson's disease (the one who I had eventually died of his disease), I
would not countenance the killing of another human being in order to prolong
the life of my family member (or myself).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555     FAX: 510-849-2557
<http://www.rafink.com/>
"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer:  That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice".  Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.