Here in California, we have an initiative on the November ballot which, if
passed, would essentially remove all restrictions from the use of embryonic
stem cells in medical research and/or treatment.

On this List, some have said that "scientists" are in favor of unrestricted
activities in this area.  The Letter to the Editor below (from the San Francisco
Chronicle) says otherwise:

San Francisco

Stem-cell issue on state ballot

Editor -- The article, "What we should know (and almost didn't)," by Tina
Stevens (Open Forum, Aug. 29) introduces reasoned discussion on embryo
stem-cell research, a topic that has been a casualty of the highly polarized
abortion debate in this country .

Frustration with the Bush administration's anti-science and anti-choice
policies is understandable. But those of us who are pro-choice should not let
Proposition 71 take us to the opposite extreme.

Emotional appeals such as those offered by Peter Van Etten ("Embryonic
stem-cell research -- A ray of hope," Open Forum, Aug. 29) are not a sound
basis for such a dramatic departure from established methods of determining
appropriate use of public resources.

Passage of Prop. 71 would open the door for commercialization and patenting
that would enrich scientists and biotech companies at great cost to taxpayers.

It would expose untold numbers of women to risky procedures to extract their
ova, and catapult us into a world of corporate manipulation of the human
genome.

There are no adequate oversight mechanisms for such research in California.

Moreover, Prop. 71 includes dangerous exemptions from the Bagley-Keene
Open Meeting Act.

It ominously authorizes modifications of standards for research on human
subjects.

We don't need to amend our state Constitution to promote biotech interests
while ignoring more promising research in adult and cord blood stem- cell
research. No on Prop. 71.

DIANE BEESON
Chair, Department of Sociology

and Social Services

California State University

Hayward

All that glitters is not gold.  We need to be very wary.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"