On 5 Sep 2004 at 7:52, Greg Louis wrote:

> If I'm off base here and PARKINSN really is about "morality" (on which
> no consensus is possible) as applied to the politics regulating
> scientific research, does anyone have a pointer to a list that serves
> the purposes described in the quotation above?

Science and morality cannot be mutually exclusive.  If one divorces the two,
one winds up with "mad science".  There have been countless examples of
this in the past.

One of the problems with the rapid advancement of science in the last century
or so has been this estrangement (between science and morality), and we have
been fortunate thusfar that humanity has finally adapted morality to science in
most areas.

The development of "artificial reproduction" (starting with artificial
insemination and now progressing towards cloning) has raised the bar a bit
when it comes to morality, and we are in the conflicted period now.
Eventually, people of good will can work out the differences and come to a
compromise where science will not trump morality or vice-versa.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555     FAX: 510-849-2557
<http://www.rafink.com/>
"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer:  That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice".  Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.