This is in reply to Greg Louis' comments :

The Parkinsn  list is not only about sharing information about living
with Parkinson's - it is also about defeating Parkinson's. And
unfortunately the defeat of Parkinson's depends not only on what takes
place in the lab, but  also depends on  who is sitting in the White
House, in Congress and in our state legislatures.  The decisions the
politicians make will determine  what medical research is funded and how
well it is funded. They might also determine if certain research, such as
SCNT  will be banned and criminalized.
 If we want to see a cure for Parkinson's in our lifetime; if we want to
be able to afford and have access to quality  health care; if we want to
be able to afford our medications; if we want the rights of disabled
people's to be protected and enforced  -  we  had better understand
these issues and know where the candidates stand before entering the
voting booth.  We should also prepare to become  strong advocates for
Parkinson's issues after the election .

The discussions about politics and ethics on this list help provide us
with information we need as advocates. The Parkinsn  list also helps
inspire and involve  new members in becoming advocates.  Greg, I see you
are Canadian, and maybe you are getting impatient with all the talk about
the American elections, but  the debates on stem cell and SCNT research
continue throughout the world , and your  government and others' must
also be convinced to provide a fair share of medical research funding  to
Parkinson's research. So I think these issues are relevant to PWP
regardless of nationality.

I know of another  Parkinson's discussion forum whose owner has banned
all postings about politics. Some members' postings  have actually been
censored. I am thankful for and proud  of our list owners John Cottingham
and Barbara Patterson,  for not only allowing and encouraging  freedom of
expression on this list, but also taking  part in the discussion
themselves.
Thank you John and Barbara,

Linda Herman