On 20040906 (Mon) at 1739:38 -0400, Linda J Herman wrote:
> This is in reply to Greg Louis' comments :
>
> The Parkinsn  list is not only about sharing information about living
> with Parkinson's - it is also about defeating Parkinson's. And
> unfortunately the defeat of Parkinson's depends not only on what takes
> place in the lab

Never did I imply otherwise.

> The discussions about politics and ethics on this list help provide us
> with information we need as advocates.

I doubt it.  Most discussion I have seen takes the form of a dialogue
des sourds -- preaching by self-proclaimed moralists to those convinced
of the opposite, with neither side willing to acknowledge merit on the
other.  Anyhow, nobody is forcing me to read that stuff, which is what
matters, I guess.  I will try automatic bit-bucketing of postings to
this list with "stem cell" and "moral" in them, and follow my own
advice: go elsewhere for political discussions.

> I know of another  Parkinson's discussion forum whose owner has banned
> all postings about politics. Some members' postings  have actually been
> censored. I am thankful for and proud  of our list owners John Cottingham
> and Barbara Patterson,  for not only allowing and encouraging  freedom of
> expression on this list, but also taking  part in the discussion
> themselves.

It would have been charitable to name that forum, as I obviously belong
there rather than here.

You should be aware that I received an approving letter off list from
someone who was banned for six months from PARKINSN (that person said)
for overly hotly advocating that the list be about PD not morals.  I
was told that the ban should have expired Aug. 20.  Posts were, it
seemed, still being censored.  The writer impressed me as moderate and
articulate.

Anyway, the bottom line here is that you believe this list's flamefest
about morals to be helpful, and I don't.  This discussion is also off
topic, so I shall write no more.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |