The source of this article is HealthandAge: http://tinyurl.com/5qgzj

Parkinson's gene therapy patient passes one year mark

Reported by Susan Aldridge, PhD, medical journalist

Gene therapy for Parkinson's disease seems to be safe, as the first ever patient makes it to a year.
In a phase I clinical trial, new treatments are tested to see if they are safe for the patient. Just over a year ago, a patient with Parkinson's disease received gene therapy for Parkinson's disease in a Phase I trial of this radical new treatment. He had a virus carrying a therapeutic gene injected into part of his brain.

Now, at the one year mark, he has suffered no adverse effects. He also says that his symptoms are 40 to 60 per cent improved if he is on medication, and if he is not, they are better by ten to 20 per cent. This proof of efficacy is encouraging, though it is not the point of a Phase I trial, where safety is paramount. The research is being carried out at the University of Auckland, New Zealand, and Phase II of the work will begin, hopefully, at the start of 2005.

Source
Chemistry & Industry 2nd September 2004