On 13 Sep 2004 at 12:59, Charles T. Meyer wrote:

> >*******On what basis do you believe this, scientific? (I don't think
> >there is a scientifc way to determine when the soul enters the body
> >or the existance of a soul.) or is it a matter of religious
> >doctrine?.Or is there another reason that I haven't thought of?

Has nothing to do with religion.  When a zygote consisting of human DNA
and 48 human chromosomes is formed, it is a human being, plain and simple.
One does not need to invoke the concept of a soul.

>>Also the Nuremberg Laws discriminated against a
>group of living breathing people who by any definition were alive and
>most were healthy but all were clearly human beings-  not single cells in
>a petri dish.<<

Those of us who believe that a zygote as described above is a human being
would assert that it is indeed, a "living, breathing person".  The tissues being
used for stem cell research are not composed of a "single cell"; we can't use
them that early.

>>We with PD are human beings too and deserve a chance at a
>healthy complete life or at least research that has the possibility of
>leading to a cure. <<

All human beings "deserve a chance at a healthy complete life", but not at the
expense of the lives of other human beings.

>>If you needed IVF to conceive a child wouldn't you try it? Then
you might have embryos lying around in a petri dish.<<

I'm not sure that I would.  Had I been unable to conceive a pregnancy in the
normal manner, I think that I would have adopted.

>>Others may have their own
definitions and the Courts have decided (at least for now)  that  my
definition is more or less the LAW.<<

That is going to change.  Prohibition and male-only suffrage used to be the
law, also, and they were changed.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"