Dr Fink --

To be fair, Diane Beeson, author of the letter, is a sociologist, not a stem
cell researcher, so I don't think it's fair to put her in that category.

Second, it is ludicrous for you to say that Prop 71 "would essentially
remove all restrictions from the use of embryonic stem cells in medical
research and/or treatment".  Even a cursory glance at the Proposition
reveals that this just isn't true.  I'm surprised that you would make such a
silly statement.

Also, I don't believe that anyone on this list said that "scientists" are in
favor of unrestricted activites in this area.  If they did, that too is
absurd.  Every thinking person recognizes that this is a sensitive area
requiring careful institutional review with appropriate safeguards and
publicly published results, subject to rigorous peer review.

The claims made by Ms. Beeson reveal that she just didn't bother to read the
text of the proposition.  She makes statements that are just completely made
up, trying to pass them off as true statements.

There are many legitimate pros and cons regarding research in this
potentially beneficial area.  It doesn't further anyone's cause to
misrepresent the text of the proposition and then argue against the
misrepresented text.

Gary