While mum was still here, I had similar experiences with emergency rooms. Mum was blind and tended to roam from her bed at night, get lost and fall.

Patients have rights but many time family members do not have power of attorney to get them their treatment and rights. Mum and I hadn't ever taken that step but I, like you, stood up for mum when she couldn't.

Emergency rooms are just that but are expected to be the place where care can be rendered 24 hours a day. Like your case 24 hours. Doctors and nurses in the ER are trained to save lives and when a person presents them self, they are triaged according to their closeness to death. During the diagnostic phase of their treatment perhaps it is not a good idea to assist the patient to self medicate until it is clear what the cause of their admission to the ER was.

You did what you thought was best for mum and I applaud you for that.

John Cottingham