Assistance in Managing your Parkinsn Subscription

When you subscribe to Parkinsn it isn't clear how to make changes on how messages arrive at your computer.

This article will attempt to enlighten but if you can't get things to work as you want them send Barbara and I an email at [log in to unmask] and we will either help you or fix them directly ourselves.

When you subscribe, several options are automatic.

1. You will not receive copies of your own postings, nor notification when you post to Parkinsn.
2. Your email from Parkinsn wll be sent as individual messages
3. The address for posting to Parkinsn is [log in to unmask]
4. The address to send commands to the listserv to change your subscription settings is:

Email sent to Parkinsn is held until 2 am Toronto Canada when it is distributed to subscribers. This distribution window is from 2 am to 6 am. Messages after this time are distributed the next day.

Copies of the last 300 Parkinsn email messages are available at:
http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/maillist.html

Scroll down the page and there are some mail management buttons when clicked on, open your email program addressing a message to the listserv and filling in the commands in the body.
Basically you just click on the send button in your email program and the message will be sent. After a while you will receive an acknowledgement.

Try clicking on one of the buttons.

Terms:

repro and no repro

Repro is listservese for send me a copy of my postings. If you have selected this and want to reset it like it was, click on the "Send me my Parkinsn postings and in the resulting email edit the set parkinsn repro add the word no in front of the repro.

ack

If you just want to know that the listserv received your posting and it was distributed, just click the button "Notify me when my Parkinsn posts are sent". Clicking this button creates the email to the listserv with set parkinsn ack in the body. When the Parkinsn email is distributed by the listserv from 2 am to 6 am daily, you will receive an acknowledgement that your message was distributed to xxxx members. The xxxx members is just the number of members who receive individual messages rather than digests.

digest

Would you like to receive Parkinsn email in one bundle? If so click on the button labeled "Change my mail to Digest Form". As above this creates the correct command addressed to the listserv. The command in the body of the message is set parkinsn digest.

If you want to set it back to individual messages the command is set parkinsn mail.

If you are on vacation and do not desire Parkinsn filling your mail box while gone, the command is set parkinsn nomail. set parkinsn digest or set parkinsn mail turns it back on when you return.

To quit Parkinsn either use the link at the bottom of each email message or use the "Remove my name from Parkinsn Please" button.

Barbara and I get an error message from the listserv when ever your mailbox is full and your ISP bounces listserv mail. Please be aware that after 100 bounced email messages the listserv automatically deletes your subscription.

Spam Filters

Lots of people are using anti-spam programs now and we get error messages when folks improperly set them up. Your Parkinsn list message have a FROM: address of owner-parkinsn. Set up your filters to allow email from owner-parkinsn to bypass the filters.

If you read your Parkinsn email online at the website, you may have noticed that email addresses are now expunged. That should help cut down on spammers who mine our site.

Some have long signature lines on the ends of their messages that add unnecessary lines to Parkinsn email. I would ask those folks to reconsider since the University of Toronto hosts and distributes our list mail pro bono. Lets please be considerate.

In following these instructions if you have any problems, send us an email at [log in to unmask] and we will be glad to help.

John Cottingham
Co-owner Parkinsn