On 15 Sep 2004 at 10:22, KF Etzold wrote:

> Drug companies are multinational. As such I would expect that they
> manufacture a product, for example, in Mexico and then distribute the
> same product world wide. This would mean that the Presidents
> statements about safety are moot.  I would be very surprised if the
> drug companies set up factories in every country to manufacture the
> same product.

Not necessarily.  Often, trade-named drugs are made "under license" from the
original manufacturer when they are made in other countries.  In such cases,
they may be packaged differently and the route of distribution may vary quite
a bit.  There are some cases (some of the anticonvulsants, for example) where
it is the *packaging* that is important, as the drugs deteriorate with exposure
to light, moisture, etc., and if the storage is less than ideal, the drugs will lose
their potency.  This is less likely to happen in the U. S. or other "developed"
countries.

> Does anybody know if the drugs from Canada are in fact distinct from
> those made in the US? Indeed are the drugs sold in the US, made in the
> US?

In some cases, this is true.  In general, however, the "standards" for the
manufacture and distribution of prescription drugs in Canada are very similar
to those in the U. S.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555     FAX: 510-849-2557
<http://www.rafink.com/>
"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer:  That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice".  Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.