On 18 Sep 2004 at 9:04, Des Hooker ACCOUNTANT Cambridge NZ wrote:

> Hi I visited my doctor yesterday and asked about my dribbling or
> drooling as you Americans call it.  He said he could give me a tablet
> to dry up my saliva but was not sure that in light of the fact that my
> dribbling was parkinson related that this was the way to go.
>     As  I have mentioned earlier todate I am not taking any medication
>     for Parkinsons. He would like to know if anyone out here has any
>     suggestions regarding drugs used to combat dribbling  and any side
>     effects that may occur.

Shows how the English language differs according to region/nationality.
"Dribbling" in American English usually refers to the urinary tract, and
"drooling" to excessive oral secretions.

The medications to decrease "drooling" are relatives of the
atropine/belladonna group of medications, and tend to "dry out" the system
(as well as cause urinary problems in patients who already have, for example,
prostate problems).  Some of these drugs can also increase the pressure in the
eyes in patients who have a tendency towards glaucoma.

Watch for side-effects if yoiur doctor uses those medications.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555     FAX: 510-849-2557
<http://www.rafink.com/>
"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer:  That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice".  Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.