There are a lot of people on this list and most probalby know more
about stem cells that I do, but I think its important to point out
that Bush has only banned *giving government money* to *embryonic stem
cell research* on *new cell lines*.   Stem cell research itself is
-not- banned, but a certain type of research will not be funded with
tax dollars--of course this is a type that many people are excited
about.   I don't know if a company can receive government money for
some projects and do stem cell research in other projects at the same
time.

There are other sources of research money:  corporations often have a
lot of cash and private institutions can fund whatever they please.

Also, even though the U.S. does have great scientists, there are
scientists all over the world that are doing embryonic stem cell
research.

The policy is idealogically driven--it is completely legal to make a
thousand embryos and flush them so why make a big deal about
researching them?--but on the bright side this research is proceeding
regardless of the funding ban.

-A