To: Barbara L.,

Requip is a family of drugs called dopamine agonists. Agonists can
exacerbate mood disorders and also cause daytime drowsiness. This is not
uncommon when the patient first starts taking the drug. I've been on
Permax, Mirapex and am now on Requip. Permax was the worst. Mirapex
tended to make me anxious. When I first started taking Requip it was
like a sleeping pill. I would go out like a light. It took me almost 6
months to adjust even though I am on a very low dose. These are powerful
drugs and our tolerance levels vary widely. An under publicized side
effect of Requip is irregular heartbeat. When your husband is feeling
fatigued, check his pulse to see if it has a normal rhythm. In other
words check that it isn't stopping and skipping a beat. Does he get
dizzy when he stands up? Low blood pressure is a side effect of many of
the PD meds including Sinemet.

However, fatigue is a common complaint with PD. Try to determine when he
is most fatigued during the medication cycle. Is it at peak dose, midway
through his med cycle or at end dose just before his next dose. If it is
at end dose an adjustment by your physician may be warranted. How is he
sleeping? Is he refreshed in the morning? Does he have vivid dreams?
Does he have trouble getting comfortable? All this needs to be discussed
with your physician once again to see if a medication adjustment is
warranted.

As posted by another list member, Provigil can also be helpful. I take
it periodically, but have found that over a period of days it eventually
causes me sleep problems even though it is not a stimulant.

You should also be aware that there can be a serotonin deficiency in PD.
This is the mood enhancing neurotransmitter. A deficiency can be
associated with depression. Besides feeling blue, a patient may simply
be losing interest in things that he normally enjoyed. But a PD patient
can usually give you a good assessment of how they feel. Make sure you
get a professional assessment preferably by a psychiatrist that
specializes in PD. This can be a tricky diagnosis in the presence of PD
and medication side effects. Neurologist can sometimes be quick on the
trigger with this diagnosis. I was told by a neurologist that I was
depressed, but by a phychiatrist that knew me very well that I wasn't.

I'm 55. I assume that since he was started on Sinemet shortly after
diagnosis that he is older. Hopefully, my experiences will still be
helpful to him.

Phil Gesotti