Archie,

DBS stands for Deep Brain Stimulation, surgery that involves drilling hole/s
in your head while you are awake and putting electrodes into your subthatlmic
nucleus or globis pallidus.  It is done for essential tremor and Parkinson's
Disease symptoms usually when meds are failing.  PD meds only helped me once so
my bilateral DBS helped only my bilateral tremors.  I can barely speak or
walk, choke on my saliva and the fine motor skills in my hands are almost
non-existent.

Some surgeons do the procedure all at once (electrodes and chest implants,
like brain pacemakers), others in stages.  After my bilateral DBS in a week I
went back for only one implant because neurosurgeon was not satisfied with
placement of electrodes in my left brain  Then in a few days the implant was turned
"ON" and my tremors on left side stopped.  About a month later I went back
for redo of left brain and 2nd implant.

I understand now Medtronic has a one implant device for both sides of leads
from brain instead of 2 implants.

You have to wear an iron halo on your head to keep your head still for the
operation/s
It is quite an experience.  The electrodes in brain don't hurt cause the
brain feels no pain, but it's kind of like being in a science fiction movie.  My
left foot straightened out immediately after the 1st surgery.  The brain lesion
often gives  you temporary benefits.

This is not a cure and the benefits vary greatly from person to person, total
failure to '"getting your life back".
Ray