Dear PIEN members,

In 1999, I joined the PIEN discussion list to learn all I could about
Parkinson's Disease for the sake of my mother's Parkinsonian care.
She and I benefited immensely from everything this list offered us
as a learning community.  Her name was Helen Urquhart and we
lost her on October 12, 2001.  She was my best friend.

Since that time I have remained a member of this list, reading daily posts
and wanting to continue to learn about Parkinson's Disease.  Whenever I
encounter someone who knows a Parkinsonian, as a matter of course
I always refer them to the incredible resource and amazing sense of place
that comprises the community of this PIEN discussion list.

This brings me to my reason for posting today. Prior to my mother's death,
I began a part time graduate degree in Education at a local university.
This eventually culminated in my current research into the nature of
on-line discussion lists as communities-of-practice. I want to show how
the communication medium of PIEN's technology has brought together
a wonderfully caring group of people who congeal into a learning community.

After certain roadblocks, I have finally resumed my research and to that
end,
I wish to quote from the PIEN list archive.  From it,  I am seeking evidence
in how PIEN members view the nature of the PIEN list itself, its purpose and
benefits.
As per the PIEN List Charter, I will remove all names from quotes and will
also protect the personal privacy of individual members by not including any
intimate details of anyone's personal health care. At the completion of my
research,
I will make my document available to all PIEN members in the form of a blog
that
will hopefully invite discussion.

The writing of this project is my way of academically documenting the
incredible community at work and play within the Parkinson's International
Exchange.
It is also my way of giving thanks for how it helped my mother and our
family when
we needed it most.

If anyone does not wish their comments to be included in this study, please
contact me privately off list since I wish to bring no anxiety to anyone
here.

With great appreciation for all of you,
Joan Urquhart
Faculty of Education