Bob
 I do not have experience with ssnri's but I think the name is a
contradiction since  "selective" I think refers  to the fact that they
only act on the seratonin system in the brain. SSRI's include Prozac,
Zoloft, and Paxil.  Both Seratonin and norepinepherine(or the lack
thereof) in the synaptic cleft- (the area between neurons  where
transmission of the signal from cell to cell occurs) are thought to have
a role in the development opf dsepression. But they sre found in many
areas of the brain and therefor may affect other things besides mood. ,
The SSRI's work bu blocking the reuptake of seratonin im sertonr\ergic
ne\rons, That is it blocks the taking up by the presynaptic neuron of
the seeratonin therby increasing the amount of seratonin in the synaptic
cleft.. Other older drugs like the tricyclic antidepressants did the
same thinmg and  I wonder if research is going backwards and
discovering the benefits of  the norepinepherine reuptake blockade  loke
pain relief which  had been known for years with tricyclics

I am sorry I am beeing aa little over-technical. .I  don't know any
other way to describe .the function of SSRIs though without resorting to
drawings.  It is a situation where one picture isa worth a thousand words.

Charlie