Dear Wendy,
                   I don't know if DBS has been performed on PWP before Levodopa has been given.
Levodopa therapy for me anyway had a shorter on time  with more and more unpredictable on/off fluctuations, dystonia and dyskinesias.
Hence, DBS was done.
I read somewhere the question of whether to have DBS sooner rather than later and the answer was "practise playing  the piano for long enough and you become an accomplished pianist, practise having P.D. for long enough and you become good at having Parkinsons."
There may be something in that.
I've had great success with DBS and am off all meds, but some parts still need work to bring them back to close enough to the "good old days."
Regards,
             Lee

Wendy Siegel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Are there any studies that look at the benefits of having DBS before vs
after levadopa treatment? Or is DBS only tried after levodopa no longer
is effective?

Thanks!

Wendy