I don't know about the research business but it is common with PWP.  I can
vouch that my wife has punched me very hard on more than one occasion (she
was sleeping she claims).  I often watch her move and act out her dreams.
She even speaks.

I have found out that you can influence the dreams by speaking to the person
or touching them while it is happening.  If it seems like she is having a
bad dream I try a gentle touch to her cheek just to influence the dream in
another direction or speaking softly in reassuring terms.  I won't wake her
during the dream for fear of hallucinations during the first waking moments
of the incident.

No she is not strong and can't get out of bed by herself so there is little
danger of wandering in her sleep.  She doesn't even punch real hard expect
the one time she hit me in the nose.

Observations and suggestions:
Parkinson meds are the culprits
Stay out of the way of punches
Don't wake PWP during bad dreams
Talk to the person and see if they feed back to you, influence a good dream
Don't talk politics, religion or ethics during this dream state  you never
know how a PWP will react to that
Talk about it in the morning and laugh about what may have been said if the
person is verbal during the dream state

Regards

Frank