From: M.Schild
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 27 September 2004 07:44
Subject: Re: DBS for PD and Dystonia: Long term Results

>> "Are there any studies that look at the benefits of having
>> DBS before vs
>> after levadopa treatment? Or is DBS only tried after levodopa no longer
>> is effective?"

> The short answer is no. DBS has only had wide spread use for about the
> last 5 years.

In fact, in France they have been performing DBS for about 10 years now. They
started doing it mainly on advanced cases. Now the tendency is to do it on
moderate cases and not after 70 years of age and never without extensive
psycho/ cognitive tests.
They reckon it can benefit about 15% of all PWPs
Maryse cg JOhn 75,15