Nor at SFU--historically.

We are instituting a requirement that students take two writing-intensive
courses in the disciplines.  And we have long required "general education"
credits, which means students must take a number of 1st year courses in
philosophy, history, or Engish.  And Engineering requires its students to
take a course in "Engineering Communication."  And Business has not
discouraged the belief that our 1st year writing course is required of
Business majors.  Perhaps there is more such that I don't know about.

So I guess we do not have a required writing course, nor a required
literature course in the sense that Betsy and Ginny want to know about, but
. . . .

Cheers,
Rick