At U of C, there is no universal writing or literature course
requirement.  There is a requirement to pass a writing test, and
students can be exempted from this requirement by getting a high mark on
high school English or a B- on any University English course, among
other exemptions, so there is a sort of background de facto English
requirement.  The course does not have to be a writing course, and in
fact none of our first year English courses explicitly teaches writing
(one reason why I'm in Communication and Culture rather than English).

--
Dr. Doug Brent
Associate Dean (Academic)