From: CASLL/Inkshed [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sandy Dorley
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 2:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: academic homes of writing instructors

Since I work in a community college, the writing instruction is done
specifically by English faculty--although many are trained in literature
rather than teaching of writing.

I am an American, and in my home state of Illinois, the University of
Illinois has instituted a program that sounds like what you are talking
about.  They have a first writing course that is taught by the English
faculty.  But the second required writing course is taught in the content
areas.  It seems like a good trade-off.  You could go online and look at the
University of Illinois --Urbana-Champaign curriculum.

In fact, if you wanted to talk to someone, Dr. Gail Hawisher is there and
would be able to fill you in on the information you require.  You can tell
her that I suggested you speak to her--she was on my thesis committee.

Professor Sandy Dorley
School of Liberal Studies
Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
519-748-5220 x3819

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/19/04 04:53PM >>>
Greetings all!

I'm seeking information from you about the academic homes of faculty who
teach writing and particularly who teach writing in the disciplines.
We are wondering what proportion of people who are teaching writing come
from disciplines other than English or Education.

Could you please let me know if you have a unit/centre or courses taught by,
say a physicist, who is teaching writing in physics?  I'm wondering about
the academic backgrounds of people who are in those active programs in
engineering and business at U of T and elsewhere; what about medical
schools?

SFU is still in the developmental stage of implementing the new
W-requirement and we are looking at who should constitute the faculty who
either assist others in their disciplines or otherwise teach
discipline-specific writing courses.

Any hints or links or numbers very welcome!  Many thanks!

Wendy

Wendy Strachan, Ph.D.
Director, Centre for Writing-Intensive Learning
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6

Telephone:  604-291-3122
Fax: 604-268-6915