New Kerry Ad Focuses On Stem Cell Research
The Associated Press

Monday, October 4, 2004

(10-04) 10:35 PDT (AP) --

Details of a new television ad from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry to
begin airing this week:

TITLE: "Stem Cell."

LENGTH: 30 seconds.

PRODUCER: Shrum, Devine, Donilon and Squier, Knapp, Dunn.

AIRING: Local media markets where Kerry is on the air.

SCRIPT:

Kerry: "It's time to lift the political barriers blocking the stem cell research that could
treat or cure diseases like Parkinson's. I believe that science can bring hope to our
families. I want America to lead the world in the medical breakthroughs of the future.
There's no time to wait. At stake are millions of lives. I'm John Kerry and I approved
this message because America can do better. It's time to take America in a new
direction."

Announcer: "John Kerry for President."

KEY IMAGES:

Kerry speaking to viewers. Among the images are doctors working in laboratories,
families and the familiar spiral of the DNA double helix.

ANALYSIS:

The ad's release is timed with Kerry's campaign appearance in New Hampshire on
Monday in which the Democratic nominee criticized President Bush's policies on
embryonic stem cell research and promised, if elected, to spend more federal
dollars on the scientific study.

The ad does not mention Bush's actions to curb the science but does hint at them
as Kerry says at the start of the ad that he wants to "lift the political barriers
blocking" it.

Bush has prohibited federal funding for research on embryonic stem cell lines
created after Aug. 9, 2001. The "politics" that Kerry mentions involve some of
Bush's biggest supporters -- religious and conservative groups -- many of whom are
the strongest opponents to the research because days-old embryos are destroyed.

Bush limited federal funding to the 78 stem cell lines in existence on Aug. 9, 2001.
Only a fraction of those initial 78 stem cell lines -- 21 at last count -- are yet
available to researchers because of problems with the lines' growth or their
ownership. In March, a National Institutes of Health count cast doubt on how many
ultimately would be usable.

The Bush-Cheney campaign says the decision shows an ethical commitment to
conducting the research and does not prohibit the therapy.

Although it doesn't offer any specifics, the ad alludes to Kerry's pledge to fund more
scientific work in general, including stem cell research, which could treat numerable
diseases.

Kerry said Monday that he would earmark $100 million a year to stem cell research
and strict ethical oversight.

Images of doctors in laboratories and graphics of molecules and DNA emphasize
the science behind the research instead of the religious and political overtones that
normally cloud the debate.

Analysis by Emily Fredrix, Associated Press writer

SOURCE: The San Francisco Chronicle, CA
http://tinyurl.com/4bfwu

* * *