KENTUCKY: Centre College Professor Receives $100,000 Grant

Tuesday October 5, 2004

Steve Asmus, an associate professor of biology and biochemistry and molecular
biology at Centre College, has received a $100,000 research grant from the
National Institutes of Health, a government-funding program.

The three-year grant will go toward Asmus' ongoing research into brain
development.

Centre students will assist Asmus with the NIH project. Using rat brains as a model,
the research team will study neurotransmitter production and cell death during brain
development. Neurotransmitters are the chemicals that neurons use to
communicate with each other.

"If we can understand more about the regulation of neurotransmitters and the cell
death process, that may hopefully help us better understand certain neurological
diseases, including Parkinson's disease," Asmus says.

The NIH grant will benefit students in many ways. "It allows them to take part in an
intensive research experience and to see if they want to do this as a career," Asmus
says.

Students who have conducted research with Asmus have gone on to attend medical
school or Ph.D. programs in biomedical science.

Ryan Steed, a biochemistry and molecular biology senior from Catlettsburg, will be
assisting Asmus this year. He plans to pursue a Ph.D. and a career in research.

"This year is a great opportunity for me," says Steed, a John C. Young Scholar. "I've
conducted research at other institutions during summers, but my project with Dr.
Asmus allows me to be immersed in researching one question for an entire year. It
will allow me to explore a part of my field that I've not had much exposure to and
also to gain important scientific skills that will be useful in my future career."

Asmus applied for a specific NIH grant in the fall of 2003. The AREA (Academic
Research Enhancement Award) grant goes to investigators at colleges and
universities that don't typically receive NIH funding. The AREA program was
established to promote biomedical research by undergraduates.

The grant will help pay for equipment, supplies and a stipend for the student
researchers. This past summer three Centre students - seniors Matt Lally and Cara
Quilligan and junior Shariya Terrell - took part in the brain development research.

The new equipment will be added to laboratory tools previously purchased by the
college from grants provided the by Kresge Foundation.

Centre offers a range of opportunities for students to participate in collaborative
research with faculty members during the academic year and the summer.

SOURCE: Danville Advocate, KY
http://tinyurl.com/5xgy6

* * *