OPINION: Stem Cell Issue Overwhelming

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

To the editor - News coverage of the stem cell issue has been overwhelming across
the United States. With all the information out there, it's a wonder how anyone could
make sense out of what is exactly true.

Some politicians claim they want full funding for this embryonic stem cell research,
some say the government has already provided it. Some even say they don't want it
at all, that the progression of this science is immoral, unethical, perhaps even evil.

The one thing that I rarely see is discussion about what happens to the thousands
of embryonic cells that fertility clinics toss into the trash every single day - quite
literally - and have for decades.

Why is stem cell research wrong, when fertility clinics are approved to toss
embryonic cells into the trash?

I am neither a scientist nor a politician. I am, however, a person with Parkinson's
disease; diagnosed on Oct. 24, 1994. I am also a Parkinson's disease advocate for
the Parkinson's Action Network (PAN). Science should be about keeping our
options open, especially when there is the potential to provide life-saving treatments
or even cures. Of course, it is very important that we continue to ban human
cloning.

For me, this is not a political debate or a partisan issue: it is about a hopeful
science that could potentially save many. The time is upon us to ask for funding for
this important research without arbitrary restrictions and allow us to see what the
future holds.

Carolyn Stephenson
Addison

SOURCE: The Leader, United States