Cloning: What's Stopping us? Law (Part 2 of 3)
Ivanhoe Broadcast News

Last Updated: October 06, 2004

ORLANDO, Fla. (Ivanhoe Broadcast News, Inc.) -- Scientists say therapeutic
cloning could be the answer for more than 100 million Americans with a variety of
illnesses. Many politicians want to ban it completely. Here's a look into the legal
battle surrounding cloning.

When Kevin Hoagland was 18, a wrestling match with his brother changed life as
he knew it. "I fell the wrong way and in an instant, I knew something was wrong," he
says. For nearly 30 years, Hoagland has been waiting for science to move forward.
"My ultimate wish is that whatever cure they find will alleviate any of this paralysis
from ever happening, or if it does, it's real short term."

Scientists say therapeutic cloning could be the answer. It could reverse paralysis,
and help many other people with diseases like Parkinson's and diabetes. The
research has stirred great hope ... and great controversy.

Congressman Mike Castle, a Republican representative from Delaware, supports
the research. "There are a number of republicans who are opposed to the policy
which I am advocating here," he tells Ivanhoe.

Lawmakers are entangled in the debate surrounding therapeutic cloning, which
uses cloned embryos to produce stem cells that could generate healthy cells,
tissues and organs On August 9, 2001, President Bush announced the government
would not fund any stem cells created after that day.

"The NIH is probably the most powerful engine for scientific research the world has
ever known and for us, not to be able to fully utilize federal funding for this research
in its infancy really is a setback," says Bernard Siegel, Executive Director of
Genetics Policy Institute in Coral Gables, Fla., which is the leading nonprofit
organization dedicated to preventing human reproductive cloning and advocating
the responsible use of therapeutic cloning research. He is leading the way to keep
the research going.

"We have to listen to our scientists, listen to our physicians and by all means listen
to the millions of people that are suffering with diseases," Siegel says.

A federal bill recently passed in the House to ban all cloning but the Senate has
delayed voting on it.

Only 10 states have any laws on cloning. Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, and North and
South Dakota have banned it. Michigan's law carries a $10 million fine and up to 10
years in prison for any scientist who violates it.

Castle is pushing to change federal law. "I want to see American medical research
resources put into this as soon as possible," he says. That's already happened in
two states. New Jersey approved $50 million, and California is considering more
than $3 billion for research on therapeutic cloning.

This is not just an American issue. It's global. Last year, Siegel led a grassroots
effort to defend therapeutic cloning in the United Nations. He was successful and
saved the potential ban by a single vote.

They'll vote again this fall.

"Eventually, this science will advance. I think the question is, how many millions of
lives might we lose," Siegel says. "How much suffering will take place before we find
the benefits -- the true benefits -- of this research?"

That's the question all politicians will have to ask themselves ... And so will each of
us.

Legislation is constantly changing on this issue. In the last legislative session, more
than 60 bills were introduced around the country, some to promote, some to ban
cloning. The U.N. will vote again on the issue October 23, 2004.

This article was reported by Ivanhoe.com, who offers Medical Alerts by e-mail every
day of the week. To subscribe, go to: http://www.ivanhoe.com/newsalert/.

If you would like more information, please contact:

Elizabeth Wenk
Deputy Chief of Staff for Mike Castle
Washington, D.C.
(205) 225-4165