Nobel Prize/Chemistry: Three Discovered Cell System That Marks Proteins For
Death

October 7, 2004 NOBEL1007

STOCKHOLM -- Two Israelis and an American won the Nobel Prize in chemistry
Wednesday for showing how cells can give a "kiss of death" to destroy unwanted
proteins, a finding that could help scientists find new medicines for cancer and other
diseases. The award marks the first time an Israeli has won a Nobel science prize.

Like most fields, modern biology focuses most of its attention on how things are
built and created: how a cell reads the blueprints encoded in DNA and how it takes
that information to manufacture proteins in molecular factories.

This year's winners worked on the opposite and less glamorous function of a cell:
how it breaks down proteins that are damaged or have outlived their usefulness.

The winners are Aaron Ciechanover, 57, and Avram Hershko, 67, both professors
of biochemistry at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, Israel, and
Irwin A. Rose, 78, a scientist at the University of California, Irvine. They will each
get one-third of the $1.3 million prize.

The cell's custodial duties have turned out to be much more than just taking out the
trash. Rather, they act more like a sophisticated inventory-control program. The
quick removal of specific proteins tells the cell when to divide, when to turn on or
turn off various functions, when to die.

Understanding these processes also helps to understand diseases that occur when
they go awry, including cystic fibrosis, Parkinson's disease and many types of
cancer.

The disposal of proteins is "crucial to almost any cellular process that anybody has
studied," said Mark Hochstrasser, a professor of biophysics at Yale University. Until
about a decade ago, though, almost no one realized the importance, he said.

"The focus at that time was on how proteins were made," he said, "and in some
quarters it was believed protein degradation was of little or no consequence. It was
rather risky to work on it."

Hershko and Rose, however, each had a long interest in the cell's disposal system.
"I realized this was an important problem and a few other people in the world were
working on it at that time," Rose said.

At a news conference in Haifa, the Israelis said they hope their work will lead to new
advances in the treatment of cancer. Said Hershko: "It does not mean that a miracle
drug to beat cancer is on the way. But I do believe there will be advances in the
treatment of cancer based on our work. This I truly believe in."

The New York Times and Associated Press contributed to this report.

SOURCE: Minneapolis Star Tribune,MN

Reference:

NIH Grantees Win 2004 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for Study of Protein Degradation
Pathway
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/oct2004/od-06.htm

* * *