This is very subtle, you have to read deep into it to find some
important points.

>But if a Kerry administration could come up with a liberal interpretation of
>the amendment, federally funded embryonic stem-cell research could increase by
>leaps and bounds.

This implies some interpretation of the Dickey Amendment would allow
stem cell research.

>"It all comes down to the Dickey amendment," said Lawrence Goldstein, a
>biology professor at the University of California at San Diego. "The president
>cannot authorize (the destruction of embryos), only the use of stem cells that
>were derived with private funds."

This passage indicates that if the stem cells are derived with private
funds, you can research them with any federal funding.   I don't think
deriving the lines has ever been the expensive part (it could be
funded by plenty of private sources), its all the experimentation
that's done afterwards that costs money.

-A