Reeve's Greatest Role Was as Real-Life 'Superman'
By Patricia Reaney - Reuters

Monday, October 11, 2004; 8:59 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - Although he will always be remembered for portraying
"Superman," the greatest role of actor Christopher Reeve's life was as a champion
of sufferers of spinal cord injuries and an advocate of stem cell research.

Unlike the man of steel, he wasn't faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than
a locomotive and he couldn't leap tall buildings in a single bound.

But the courage and determination Reeve displayed in trying to overcome his
paralysis from a 1995 horse-riding accident far surpassed any of the feats of the
comic book hero.

"He became a real-life Superman. His heroism, his courage was extraordinary,"
Colin Blakemore, the chief executive of Britain's Medical Research Council, told
Reuters.

"Like many people who suffer some terrible injury, Christopher Reeve was
reinvented by that experience and brought the kind of energy and enthusiasm that
made him successful as a film star to an entirely different issue, with huge effect."

Reeve, 52, died on Sunday of heart failure after having treatment for an infected
pressure wound without realizing his dream of walking again.

But in the nine years since his accident, he made personal progress to regain some
feeling, established the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, a non-profit
research organization, and used his fame to raise millions of dollars for research
into spinal cord injuries.

He also provided hope and inspiration to other patients and lobbied for scientists to
be allowed to conduct stem cell research in the hopes of eventually curing paralysis
and other illnesses such as diabetes and Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

Reeve believed the strict limits by the administration of President Bush on the
controversial areas of stem cell research, which he criticized as misguided and
inadequate, could eventually be overturned by individual states.

"He has been our champion. If you think of spinal injuries you automatically conjure
up a picture of Christopher Reeve," said Paul Smith, executive director of the Spinal
Injuries Association in England.

"When it comes down to seeking a solution to a broken spinal cord, I think he has
pushed hard and undoubtedly raised a huge amount of money that wouldn't have
been there for spinal research. He has definitely made a big difference."

It is because of Reeve that spinal cord injuries and stem cell research are so widely
discussed, according to Smith. The fact that it happened to Reeve showed it can
affect anyone, even Superman.

Reeve did not live long enough to see whether stem cell research could help
restore movement to the paralyzed. The research is still in its early days and no one
knows what advances it may bring.

"He pushed the boundaries as far as he could get them to go. I don't think we would
have gotten where we are now without him," said Smith.

"If an answer is there and it comes out of stem cell research, then Christopher
Reeve will have made his mark in history and will have undoubtedly been one of the
people who brought it about," he added.

SOURCE: The Washington Post, DC
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23755-2004Oct11.html

* * *