It is very difficult to win a case.  We have been through this several
times.  Recent interpretations of the ADA laws have made it easier on an
employer to terminate an employee with a disability.  In my opinion the best
move is to be honest with yourself.  If you know you can't do the job and
there are no "reasonable" accommodations your employer can make then you
need to look elsewhere or go on SSD.  The stress of staying in a workplace
that is hostile and where you can't do the job can worsen your symptoms.  Is
it worth it?  It may not be fair, but is it worth it?  Those are the
questions you have to ask yourself.

You said accommodations as necessary but the interpretation is reasonable
accommodations if possible.

What type of work did your wife do?  Mine was involved in relocation
real-estate transactions.  When she could no longer operate a computer fast
enough and there were no ways to fix that and she could no longer speak with
the volume or respond quickly to clients and fellow workers inquiries and
she had several panic attacks...  she know it was time.  Fortunately her
employer at the time was understanding and we came to an agreement with him
that we would know when it was time and she would resign.  You may find your
wife's employer may be just as accommodating.  Because of that my wife was
able to work longer than she had anticipated and could leave with dignity
and the employer was not saddled with legal fees.  It was a win win for all.
I other words it work out for the best for all.

Frank