Gore Plugs Stem-Cell Research, Gregoire, Ross
By ELIZABETH M. GILLESPIE - ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

Friday, October 8, 2004 · Last updated 7:19 p.m. PT

SEATTLE -- Former Vice President Al Gore touted the promise of stem-cell
research for curing debilitating and deadly diseases on Friday - using his pitch to
stump for fellow Democrats Christine Gregoire and Dave Ross.

Gore and others on a panel steered clear of the moral question that underlies much
conservative opposition to embryonic stem-cell research: the belief that life begins
at conception and that human embryos should never be used to advance science.

Instead, they argued that doctors and researchers should not be hindered from
pursuing every opportunity to save lives.

"To say that there's no way to approach it carefully and ethically is just nonsense,"
Gore said, sitting on a panel with Gregoire, Ross, two doctors, an ethicist and two
men with degenerative illnesses who said they have been helped by medical
advances.

Gregoire, a three-term attorney general who's running for governor, and Ross, a
longtime radio talk show host who's running for Congress, each said they strongly
back embryonic stem-cell research.

Gregoire called for creating a Washington Institute of Stem Cell Research, saying it
would lead to dramatic medical advances while creating top-notch jobs.

"We can literally create thousands of jobs as well as revolutionize health care for
Washington state, for our nation and for that matter for the world," Gregoire said.

Ross said he would work to unlock federal funding for new lines of stem cells.

"You see seated before you on this panel some of the best scientists not only in the
state but in the world. And what disturbs me is that we have right now in this
particular area of research a situation where our government is telling them they
can't do the best research," Ross said.

Embryonic stem cells are master cells that form during the early days after
conception and can turn into any tissue in the body. Many scientists hope to
harness them one day to grow replacement tissue to treat spinal cord injuries as
well as diabetes and other diseases.

But because culling stem cells kills the embryo, President Bush signed an executive
order in August 2001 limiting research to the existing lines.

Mary Lane, campaign spokeswoman for GOP gubernatorial candidate Dino Rossi,
accused Gregoire of using stem-cell research as a political wedge issue. Leaders of
Washington biotech industry have told Rossi they're not interested in a big state-
funded push for stem-cell research. "That's not our niche," Lane said. "Our
strengths lie in therapeutics and diagnostics."

Ross' opponent, King County Sheriff Dave Reichert, has said he supports adult
stem-cell research but shares the president's moral concerns about using embryos
for medical research.

Private labs that don't rely on federal funding for their research have continued to
run studies on new embryonic stem-cell lines without any oversight, said panelist
Anna Mastroianni, an assistant professor of health law and bioethics at the
University of Washington School of Law.

"We will be much better served with the accountability that will come with public
funding than if we leave the research to the private sector," Mastroianni said.

Two people on the panel said their lives have been lengthened by medical
advances and questioned why anyone wouldn't support research that could make
them healthier yet.

When Dennis Wright was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 12 years ago,
doctors told him they could do nothing to halt the progress of the degenerative
disease. Then, two years ago, he had tiny devices called deep brain stimulators
implanted in his brain, "which is why I can be talking to you today and not flailing
around," said Wright, 52, of Issaquah.

Alex Goldberg, 20, has cardiomyopathy, a condition that inflames the heart muscle.
He's working on a documentary about stem-cell research. One of his subjects is
fellow panelist, Dr. Chuck Murry, a UW pathology professor who's researching how
stem cells might help the heart regenerate tissue.

After the hourlong panel, Goldberg got a hearty handshake from Gore, who told
him, "You're going to be the Michael Moore of stem cells!"

---

On the Net:

Christine Gregoire: http://www.gregoire2004.com/

Dave Ross: http://www.dinorossi.com/