Actor Fox Films Campaign Ad for Kerry
Actor Michael J. Fox Films Stem-Cell Research Campaign Ad for Sen. John Kerry
The Associated Press

NEW YORK Oct. 7, 2004 — Actor Michael J. Fox is returning to TV in a commercial
praising Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry for his stance on stem cell
research.

"John Kerry strongly supports stem cell research. George Bush is putting limits on
it," Fox says in an ad Kerry's campaign unveiled Thursday. "Stem cell research can
help millions of Americans whose lives have been touched by devastating illnesses.
George Bush says we can wait. I say lives are at stake and it's time for leadership.
That's why I support John Kerry for president."

The campaign said the ad would run in local media markets in states considered
battlegrounds.

Fox, who has Parkinson's disease, campaigned with Kerry in New Hampshire on
Monday and filmed the ad after the event.

Three years ago, Bush limited federal funding of embryonic stem cell research to
the 78 stem cell lines in existence. Less than a third of those initial lines are
available to researchers because of problems with the lines' growth or their
ownership.

Some religious groups oppose the culling of stem cells, which kills the embryos,
because they say it's abortion. Proponents of the research, including former first
lady Nancy Reagan and 58 U.S. senators, say the focus should be on the possibility
of cures for diseases such as diabetes and Alzheimer's.

The Bush campaign called the ad false. "George Bush is the first president to allow
for the federal funding of embryonic stem cell research and has provided hundreds
of millions of federal dollars for stem cell research," said Brian Jones, a Bush
spokesman.

Fox is best known for the "Back to the Future" movies and his role as young
Republican Alex P. Keaton on the 1980s sitcom "Family Ties." He largely left the
industry in the mid-1990s because of his disease. Since then, he's been a loud
voice in the stem cell debate.

SOURCE: ABC News, United States
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20041007_515.html

* * *