This should really be a reply to the posting containing a press release
on iron toxicity as a potential risk factor for PD, but I deleted that
after reading it; sorry.  A brief quotation from it:

"Researchers reported last year that high intake of iron, especially in
combination with high manganese intake, may be related to risk for
Parkinson's disease.

"People who had higher than average dietary iron intake and who also
took, on average, one or more multivitamins or iron supplements per day
were 2.1 times more likely to be Parkinson's patients than those who
had lower than average dietary iron intake and who took fewer than one
multivitamin or iron supplement per day.

"Levenson said her findings show that people should not self-prescribe
iron supplements but should wait until a doctor notifies them of a
deficiency."

My physician mentioned at a recent visit that my iron level was very
high, so this caught my attention.  There is much iron in the drinking
water where I live, but I decided to do some reading to see if other
dietary changes might help.  After all, there's no point in knowing
one's iron level is high and that's bad, unless something can be done
about it!

Sources of iron that can lead to a dietary excess include not only
vitamin supplements, as mentioned in the above quotation, but also red
meat, alcohol, and acid foods (such as tomato sauce) that have been
cooked in iron cookware.  (Alcohol, of course, isn't actually a
_source_ of iron, but it does seem to promote uptake and/or retention.)

Oh, yuk.  I have consumed, with enthusiasm, generous quantities of all
of the above for most of my life.  I knew about iron cookware, but
always thought (until this year) that dietary iron was good for me.

Dunno if I've also had high manganese intake; apart from whole-wheat
bread and lentils, I'm not a big consumer of any of the high-manganese
foods that a quick web search for "sources of manganese" revealed.

I thought the above notes might interest others on the list who might
wonder how to keep the iron level normal.  I'll have to ask my doc if
altering the diet is enough to bring the iron down or whether a course
of phlebotomy might be needed.

Good thing I like fish as well as steak... ;-)
--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |