Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions about stem cell research.   My
grandmother has parkinsons and she is in her 80s and I signed up on
this list to learn more about the disease.

1.  a lot of people are saving "cord blood" when their babies are
born.   does this blood have stem cells in it?    could these stem
cells be used in research?   if so it doesn't seem like there is much
of an ethical questions about killing the unborn (as long as we aren't
making new babies with the cells)
2.   when talking about embryonic stem cell research, what are the
guarantees that women won't be selling their embryos for research?   i
always hear about the discarded embryos at fertility clinics but are
there laws being prepared to prevent selling embryos for monetary
gain?  if we accept that embryos are not babies, is it even reasonable
to talk about such a law?
3.  how do people feel about cloning beyond the scope invidual cells,
like actually making large organs or full bodies?   if stem cells were
used to build up say, a liver, would that be objectionable?   i can
imagine most would be opposed to creating complete human beings with
minds of their own and then killing them for their organs, but what
about all the ground in between?   where is the moral line on cloning
usually drawn?

Also has anyone seen the Alex Trebek "just the shakes" quote other
than the original poster?   I'm really curious what it was all about.

Thanks
Archie