It is defintely important to get data out on GDNF so if something
valuable is there it isn't lost.   there is often a chance that if a
drug were administered differently--at a different dosage or frequency
or if the structure of the drug were changed slightly that it might do
better in testing, however its important to know the meanings of the
phases of clinical trials when reading about hem

phase 1 -- test drug in a few healthy people to see if it is toxic
phase 2 -- test drug in small population of afflicted people to see if
it has any possitive effects
phase 3 -- test drug in large population of afflicted people to
compare to existing treatments and to continue analysis of adverse
effects.
phase 4 also exists, only 1-3 are necessary for FDA approval

so if GDNF made it through phase 1, all that says is that it isn't
poisonous when tested on a small group of people.   of course prior to
phase 1 there are animal trials and there may be (I don't know) tests
on willing human subjects.   without any success in animals (or with
any adverse affects in animals) its not worth the investment to even
go into phase 1 in humans