The source of this article is the Miami Herald: http://tinyurl.com/3mzo7

Posted on Wed, Oct. 27, 2004

Pinellas Florida officials send nearly 300 incomplete absentee ballots

Associated Press

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Nearly 300 voters in St. Petersburg received absentee ballots that were missing the second of two pages, Pinellas County elections officials acknowledged.

County Elections Supervisor Deborah Clark promised Tuesday to correct the error by the Nov. 2 general election. Her office has mailed the inadvertently omitted page to the 293 affected voters, along with an explanation and a postage-paid envelope.

"If necessary, we'll be going around picking up ballots this weekend," she said. "Whatever we can do to get all of those pages by 7 p.m. Election Day, we will do."

Clark said she learned of the problem from someone who e-mailed her office. A team that assembled absentee ballot kits mistakenly was given only the first page of the ballot, she said.

"It was an oversight on our part," Clark said.

The missing page lists five referendum questions concerning the city's downtown waterfront.

Lori Hudson, a deputy administrator for Clark, said 89,130 Pinellas voters had requested absentee ballots as of Tuesday, and 44,678 had been returned.

---

Information from: Tampa Tribune, http://www.tampatrib.com