FROM: The Hudson Reporter (NJ)

10/31/2004
A national issue
Hudson County led stem cell move
By Al Sullivan

 STANDING UP FOR STEM CELL RESEARCH

 Like California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hudson County Republican
Elise DiNardo does not support her party's position in embryonic stem
cell research
With every campaign speech Democratic candidate John Kerry makes in
promoting embryonic stem cell research, Hudson County residents who
support the idea can take pride.

Advocacy efforts and the legislative stand of state elected officials
made Hudson County one of the key reasons Gov. Jim McGreevey was able to
pass stem cell research legislation into law, and later, he pushed New
Jersey to the forefront as the first state in the nation to fund
embryonic stem cell research.

New Jersey's bold move allowed the issue to become part of the national
Democratic platform and a key provision in Kerry's election efforts.

In an interview with the Hudson Reporter done earlier this year,
McGreevey said, "In New Jersey, we clearly understand that stem cell
research offers the greatest amount of hope and possibilities for
thousands of citizens that suffer from Alzheimer's disease, cancer,
diabetes, Parkinson's disease and other diseases."

Stem cell research is controversial because it uses the cells of
discarded human embryos created for in vitro fertilization, but which
would not be used in the end.

Numerous conservative groups believe these embryos constitute the
earliest form of human life, even when they don't come from eggs
fertilized in a woman's body. These groups also believe that allowing
studies on human embryos would breach an important barrier, allowing for
further and even more terrifying human experimentation later on, such as
human cloning.

President George W. Bush has banned the use of federal money for such
research and has made his opposition one of the key provisions to the
Republican national platform upon which he is running for re-election.

But not all Republicans agree. Last year, Nancy Reagan, widow of former
President Ronald Reagan - who suffered from Alzheimer's disease prior to
his death - broke ranks with the Republican Party, offering her support
for the research. Her children have also spoken in favor of the research.

Explanation

Studies show that the human body is made up of a variety of cells, such
as cells that make up the heart, lungs, skin or blood. But all of these
evolve from a single kind of cell that is developed at the earliest
stages of embryonic human development. These cells - called embryonic
stem cells - are still waiting to evolve, and scientists believe the
secret to curing many of many incurable ailments might be found in how
they do evolve.

Because embryonic stem cells can only be found in human embryos, the
research has been opposed by numerous political and religious groups who
associate the research with abortion and human cloning.

Most recently, California's Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger also
broke ranks with the Republican national position by allowing the
question to be left up to the voters in his state.

"Not all Republicans are opposed to stem cell research," said Elise
DiNardo, a prominent Hudson County Republican. "There are moderates in
the party like Gov. Schwarzenegger and former New York Mayor Rudy Guilani
who do not agree with the national position."

DiNardo said watching a member of the family slowly deteriorate from
Alzheimer's disease had convinced her of the necessity to find a cure.

"This was a vital individual, someone who had traveled the world only to
end up in a nursing home struggling with day to day activities,
forgetting to eat, to dress or to shower," she said. "I know there is a
light at the end of the tunnel through this research. We might be able to
find a cure for some kinds of blindness and problems caused by spinal
cord injuries. This research gives hope for the future. People need that
hope, and I'm supporting the research in order to give them that hope."

DiNardo said without research, victims of various accidents and diseases
will become an increasing burden on society.

"If people can be treated for these, they can function and prosper," she
said. "The idea is to keep people independent."

DiNardo said she had some problems with her party's approach to social
program.

"My party talks about handling research in a moral way," she said. "But
what we're talking about here are petri dishes and something that would
be thrown away anyway since they are the excess from the in vitro
fertilization process."

A defining issue of this campaign

State Sen. Majority Leader Bernard Kenny, who along with Assembly Speaker
Albio Sires led the move in the New Jersey Legislature earlier this year
to get approval for research in the state, said embryonic stem cell
research is one of the defining issues in the presidential campaign.

"Senator Kerry is taking the lead from New Jersey and California on
this," Kenny said. "New Jersey has always been very progressive in health
care and putting people first. Stem cell research promises to open new
vistas in science and technology, and possibly find cures for diseases
that have plagued humankind."

Kenny said he wants his children and his grandchildren to have the best
that science can offer when it comes to treating diseases.

"My children and grandchildren and everyone else in the future
generations should have every opportunity to be as free from these
diseases as possible," he said.

Opponents of the research have, at times, resorted to misinformation in
order to work up the emotions of the public. "From the beginning of time,
human history had to fight misinformation," he said. "There was a time
when it was taught that Europe was center of the universe and the earth
was flat. But we have a moral obligation to explore science to put it to
man's use."

Assemblyman Lou Manzo (D-31st Dist.) said New Jersey and Hudson County
have become the pioneers in the movement to seek stem cell research,
providing a model other states like California can follow. He called the
presidential election one of the most important in history on this issue
alone.

Hoboken Councilman Tony Soares, who has a form of dwarfism, has been a
proponent of stem cell research.

"This isn't about me," he said. "The reach is too late for me. This is
about everyone that will suffer in the future."

Soares sharply criticized opponents of stem cell research, saying that if
the logic used against the research was carried through, then many of the
medical miracles performed today would not be legal.

"We would not have organ transplants," he said.

For Paul J. Byrne of Jersey City, the chairman of Right to Hope, one of
the key lobbyists for stem cell research in the state, the full impact of
the situation hit him when he was talking to his niece, who had tried to
show him something she had done.

Byrne is blind as a result of diabetes.

"She had forgotten I was blind," he said. "But then she said she would
show me later when I got better. She didn't understand that I was never
going to get better."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13253180&BRD=1291&PAG=461&dept_
id=523589&rfi=6