Hi Ginny,
Not sure if you have heard from anyone concerning Dalhousie and Saint
Mary's yet. If so sorry for the repetition-Dalhousie College of Arts and
Science (which includes the Faculties of arts social science and
science) have a writing class requirement: one of the first five classes
a student takes must be a writing class designated as such by a standing
committee--the "Writing Across the Curriculum Committee." There are
approx. 15 such courses approved and offered in disciplines from across
the faculties of science, arts, and social science.
 Last time I checked  the committee's critieria were under discussion
but they include a cap on enrollment and a set of (fairly
minimal)guidelines pertaining to type and number of writing assignments.
Just to confuse things Dal. also has 'writing-intensive' courses
connected to its 'career skills transcript' program, but these DO NOT
count to fulfill the Writing Requirement as the WAC Committee does not
review and approve them. Students quite frequently express confusion
about why the writing intensive courses don't count.
   Saint Mary's had(until this Fall) a first year writing/comp class
that was required by all faculties and offered by the English
Department, but that course was abolished--largely due to the
unwillingness of the English Dept. to continue to have the responsibilty
for teaching it. Now all three faculties--Commerce, Arts, and Science --
require the completion of a first year, one semester English course
--"Introduction to Literature" (Arts students only may at the English
Department Chair's discretion chose to fufill the requirement with a
different English course)This requirement was part of new literacy
policy set by Senate.
If you'd like further details on either let me know and I'll pass it
along privately.

cheers,
Pat