University College of the Fraser Valley has a Literacy requirement for
the BA of 3 credits of one of two specified courses in composition in
English or a specified communications course.
The B Sc requires 2 courses selected from a list which includes any
English courses or (almost) any communications courses.
Rhonda Schuller
Dept of English
UCFV

>>> [log in to unmask] 22/10/2004 11:15:27 am >>>
Hello again to everyone.

Earlier this week, Betsy Sargent posted a query to CASLL concerning
English requirements at Canadian colleges and universities. Well, it
turns out that I have an immediate need for the same information, and
I'm hoping that someone from those institutions that haven't already
been represented with responses could please take a few minutes to
respond in kind.

What Betsy and (now) I need to know is whether your institution has a
specific, cross-the-board English course requirement for graduation or
program-entry purposes, and whether that requirement must be satisfied
by taking  "literature",  "English",  "writing" courses, or some
combination of these.

So far (I hope I haven't missed any), I've collected responses from
University of Winnipeg, Nova Scotia College of Art and Design,
University College of the Cariboo/Thompson Rivers University, Simon
Fraser University, and Uof T Arts and Science.
Could Inkshedders from Canada's other universities and colleges please
answer, too? It seems there are big changes looming at post-secondary
institutions across the country; better that we be involved in them
than
merely informed of them after the fact...

I thank you all in advance and apologize for "pestering"; I know full
well how busy everyone is at this time of year.

Ginny Ryan
Memorial University of Newfoundland

              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/