Hello, Christina --

Worth thinking about! I'll try to answer in a general way for the diverse
writing centres at U of T.

I believe that all of the 13 or so writing centres here offer their individual
consultations according to the principle of confidentiality with respect to
students' course instructors. That is, even when a student has been "sent" to a
writing centre we don't report back to the instructor. Occasionally instructors
send students with sheets to be signed saying they've been to a writing centre:
we sign for the student's sake, but not too happily. In our graduate writing
centre, however, we offer to write a letter to supervisors if students want us
to -- and some do, to show they they're seeking instruction as advised, whether
through courses or individual consultation.

When analysing and reporting on usage data we use aggregate figures, and also
replace student names with initials or codes in giving sample case histories.
For research reported beyond the local level we are quite scrupulous about going
through the standard ethics review procedures, meaning that we seek informed
consent from students, maintain confidentiality of records throughout, and
report only anonymously.

One document we give students is online at
www.utoronto.ca/writing/learning.html. I note (now that you've asked) that it
doesn't explicitly promise confidentiality. And I'm also realizing that we don't
have a policy that could protect us from demands to share information or from
charges of misuse of student data. ** Has anyone else faced that type of problem?

I look forward to hearing from other universities, and to seeing the policy
statement you work out at OCAD.

Margaret