What a great story, Murray.  Today, there was a segment on Oprah Winfrey
about the fireman who rescued a dog in fast flowing waters.  When I saw
that scene, I cried.  Pets are such wonderful companions, and I think
everyone who has PD would do well to have a trained dog like this one -
if they can care for it.  Best to you.  Jo Ann

> [...]
>   listen when Johnson needs to rail against life's unfairness or to
>   share when Johnson appreciates life's beauty.
>
>   "Some people may think I'm crazy for talking to a dog," Johnson
> says.
>   "But having him there helps me so much. He's made such a difference
>   in my life."
>
>   Questionnaire:
>
>   What is your pet's name and breed?
>
>   Oliver, an English springer spaniel.
>
>   How did you choose your pet's name?
>
>   I just took one look at him and knew Oliver was the perfect name
> for
>   him.
>
>   Where did you get your pet?
>
>   My husband had a springer named Fudge that he had gotten from a
>   breeder in Nebraska. We got in touch with Danny (the breeder), and
> he
>   had pups from the same line as Fudge. Danny kept Oliver until he
> was
>   9 weeks old and then put him on a plane. He was a $75 dog that cost
>   us $400 to get.
>
>   What's the best thing about your pet?
>
>   The best thing about Oliver is that he is my best friend and my
>   service dog. We got Ollie in 1998, and I got Parkinson's disease in
>   2000. He is so smart that I was able to train him to help me get
>   through the day. He is also a Delta Society dog. We go to hospitals
>   and nursing homes to visit children and the elderly. Let me tell
> you
>   that Oliver is very special.
>
>   What is your pet's worst habit?
>
>   The worst habit Oliver has is surfing the counters for food.
>
>   Has your pet ever embarrassed you?
>
>   I was at a PD (Parkinson's disease) meeting. Oliver was with me and
>   went right under the table as a good service dog should do. I did
> not
>   know that one of the ladies at the meeting had brought blueberry
>   muffins and when she went to get them for us to have with coffee,
>   they were gone. Oliver the wonder dog had eaten every muffin and
> the
>   bag, and he was so quiet about it. He did not make any sounds and
> he
>   was fast asleep. He also had blueberry stains all over his face. He
>   was busted. We all had a good laugh about it, and thank God he did
>   not get sick.
>
>   How do you celebrate a pet's birthday?
>
>   Oliver's birthday is Dec. 31. We celebrate the new year with him.
>
>   What is the best thing about your pet?
>
>   The best thing about Oliver is Oliver. He is the most loving and
>   loyal friend I have ever had. It feels good just writing about him.
>   He brings me joy every single day of my life.
>
>   SOURCE: Arizona Republic, AZ
>   http://tinyurl.com/49kct<http://tinyurl.com/49kct>
>
>   * * *
>
>   .Murray Charters
> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>   Please place this address in your address book
>   Please purge all others
>
>   Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb

http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters<http://www.geocities.com/murraych
arters>

>   To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to:

mailto:[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]