Our Day of Vindication for the Ages!

At a Miami Beach home crowded with people in wheelchairs sporting John Kerry buttons, Michael J. Fox -- actor, Parkinson's disease patient and stem-cell-research activist -- recently likened President Bush's limits on federal research funding to giving someone a car without gas.

"But he's congratulating himself on giving us the car, so we sit there stuck," said Fox, who is stumping for Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic presidential hopeful. "One doesn't have to be cynical to take a dim view of that and be frustrated by that."

While some of the pundits dismissed unshackled ethical embryonic stem cell research as being just a 'wedge issue', our desires have been heard and the hopes and dreams of a nation will be focused on today.

What are the Issues?

Parkinsn has taken on the issues without fear or favor. We have worn our hearts on our sleeve, elevating the issues to thoughtful debate. All sides were heard.

Will eSCR benefit me?

As the body of knowledge evolves from petri dish to studies, perhaps cures will be found. Young Onset Parkinson's patients have a greater chance of seeing a cure. Parkinson's is a collage of ailments and some will be a tougher nut to crack. Your vote today will shorten the time all of us have to await the promise of eSCR.

I have ethical concerns about eSCR, what if I vote for the status quo?

In the present Congress, it is a high probability that conventional (adult, umbical cord blood) stem cell funding will increase. No new embryonic stem cell lines will be allowed and present funding will be allowed to die. Parkinson's patients will not see a cure from these types of research. There is no hope that the status quo will change their mind.

If hope prevails, the executive order limiting the number of stem cell lines will be lifted as soon as the new administration takes office.

I am for eSCR but I don't know understand why states and biotech companies are for it.

Therapeutic cloning is duplicating a fertilized zygote. The multiplication of zygotes enables the possibility of biotech companies to produce organs which they will retain a patent. Therapeutic cloning will also be used to find a cure or cures for us. Unless we demand a seat at the table where research decisions are made the business of eSCR will push research for a cure to the back.

Why haven't we heard from our national organizations, supporting us on eSCR?

Michael J Fox, one of us, and Steve Reeve, have been on the battleground. Our national organizations are fed by the mothers milk of NIH and drug company funding. They are not about to ruin their business model. None of the 'big names' of the Centers of Excellence have come out supporting the patients hope that the promise of eSCR will be realized. Patients will have a long memory after this is over when their organizations prefer to put their heads in the sand. Let's hope we will take a deep breath after this election regardless of the outcome.

My state is not a battleground state, why should I vote?

We are not only interested in electing an administration that agrees with our interests but the U.S. Senate and Congressional elections will have an influence on funding on Parkinson's issues. Many of those running for those offices agree on our positions on eSCR. Use your vote wisely.

Should I take Al Capone's quote 'Vote Early and Vote Often' serious?

Todays vote will be the largest in history. Our lines at the polling places will be long and tiring. Schedule your meds so that you are coming on when you arrive in line at the polls. Take your meds and a drink with you. If you have a walker with a seat take that, if not take an aluminium lawn chair. It is going to rain in many areas so an umbrella will be in order.

We have been here supporting one another for over a decade. We have laughed and cried together and disagreed. It is an honor to be included in this group. Barbara Patterson and I are honored to call you all friends.

I would encourage all Americans to join me today at the polls in this historic time. This can be our day of vindication.

John Cottingham