Lane Evans Ready For Try At Twelfth Congressional Term
By John David - Moline, IL - John David reports

November 1, 2004

Rep. Lane Evans knows what it's like to win elections. The Rock
Island Democrat is seeking his twelfth term in Congress.

"Tonight is a night I'll never forget," he said after winning on
November 7, 2000. "It will give me strength to pursue our visions,
dreams and realities."

Four years later, Evans also knows what it's like to battle
Parkinson's disease. But he says that it doesn't stop him from doing
the job in Washington.

"I could not walk away from this race," he said. "I want it to be not
only about me, but what we're doing about Parkinson's."

Evans says that the focus should be on those in the district who
don't have health insurance -- not his health.

The current race between Evans and Republican Andrea Zinga also
references the past. In February 2004, Republicans allege that Evans
"stole" the 1998 election by using what they call an illegal victory
fund.

"It's a step backwards for people who believe in civil rights and
civil liberties," Evans commented.

In the following months, Evans focuses on issues crucial to the
district. There's an effort to pump up the local economy at the Rock
Island Arsenal in the aftermath of tough times for other local firms.

"We've worked very hard to stop NAFTA and the so-called free trade
positions because we're losing thousands of jobs," he said.

And while opposed to the invasion of American troops into Iraq, he
says that those soldiers deserve better protection while serving
their country.

"They deserve the highest technical weapons, yet people are spending
their Christmas money to buy them flack jackets," he said.

First elected to Congress in 1982, Evans remains fascinated with
service in the political arena and is ready for more.

"I enjoy the job," he said. "I enjoy the people immensely, and over
these 22 years I've come to know them pretty well."

And they know him pretty well, too.

SOURCE: WQAD, IL
http://tinyurl.com/6bp6q

* * *Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters