Princeton Chief Praises Medical Prospects of Stem Cell Research

Updated Nov.3,2004 14:40 KST

Princeton University President Shirley Tilghman was in Seoul for a
three-day visit this week. On Tuesday, her second day here in Korea,
the first woman and scientist to serve as president in the
university's 258-year history met with scholars and scientists,
exchanging ideas on a variety of issues including education and
science.

Changing the culture at universities is one way to encourage more
female scholars to go out and make a difference in the world.
Speaking to reporters at Korea's Seoul National University on
Tuesday, Princeton University President Shirley Tilghman said making
the university family-friendly for both women and men was important.

"So that it is possible to imagine as I did to have children and to
have a successful career in the universities as well. That means
caring about daycare, caring about giving women who need to take time
off when they have children gave that not be a disadvantage. So it's
changing the culture."

Regarding stem cell research, Ms. Tilghman -- also a genetic
scientist -- said she believes that there is great therapeutic
potential for human embryonic stem cells to treat debilitating
diseases like Parkinson's disease and juvenile diabetes.

When asked about the concerns that therapeutic cloning that involves
producing cloned embryos to create stem cells could ultimately lead
to human cloning, she said she believed strict regulations can
prevent the worst from happening.

"In my opinion, there is almost no scientific technology that I can
think of that cannot be used to do harm. Just none. If you think
about microbiology, well, microbiology is a technology that can be
used to create a bio weapon. The atomic bomb. Terrible, terrible use
for terrible purposes. On the other hand, it's been used to create an
energy source to replace coal and oil.

So there is nothing unique about nuclear transplantation. It is a
technology that can both be used for good and ill. I think our
society has been effective in developing regulations that can reduce
to a very very low level the likelihood that it will be used for the
wrong purpose."

Later on Ms. Tilghman also met with Korean scientist professor Hwang
Woo-suk, who successfully cloned a human embryo and extracted a stem
cell line from it earlier this year. She congratulated professor
Hwang on his achievement and said speaking as a private scientist she
supported his research that may one day contribute in generating
treatment for incurable diseases.

Arirang TV

SOURCE: Chosun Ilbo, South Korea
http://tinyurl.com/5vjtm

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters