Neurologist Says Stem Cells Hold Benefits
By Robin Williams Adams - The Ledger

Published Friday, November 5, 2004

LAKELAND -- Life and death go hand in hand in Dr. Juan Sanchez-Ramos'
work with cells.

As a neurologist and researcher, he was frustrated with medicine's
limited ability to treat the brain-cell destruction of stroke and
Parkinson's disease.

"If I understood how neurons die, I might intervene with chemical
methods to prevent them from dying," the University of South Florida
professor said.

"If I understood their process of dying, I could prolong their
survival."

In studying why cells die, he became fascinated with how they are
born and develop. That led him into stem-cell research.

Stem cells can self-renew and give rise to many different types of
cells, he said Tuesday at the first of a three-part series on stem-
cell research.

Sanchez-Ramos' talk primarily focused on the science of embryonic
stem cells -- and benefits he expects from them -- rather than on the
controversy surrounding research using them.

"We're going to regenerate limbs," he said. "We're going to
regenerate lives."

Much of that won't be in his lifetime or that of the audience, he
said, but it is coming.

"Cell therapy is the wave of the future," he said.

Many people have had cell therapy in the form of blood transfusions
and bone-marrow transplants. Bone marrow, soft tissue, produces blood
cells.

Sanchez-Ramos said he hasn't worked with human embryos for "ethical,
logistic and biological reasons." He works with cells from adult
human tissue or from fetal mouse tissue.

But he is enthusiastic about embryonic stem cells.

Research with embryonic stem cells will help scientists learn to
better use adult stem cells, Sanchez-Ramos said. He sees that
research as having great potential.

He said it can explain the complex events of human development. It
can change the way drugs are developed and tested by allowing the
ability to test them on human cell lines. And it can generate cells
and tissue for cell therapy.

Unlike adult tissue, which can produce a limited number of cell
types, embryonic stem cells have the ability to create many.

"They're much more versatile than any other stem cell," he said.
"They can turn into any cell type."

It starts with an egg.

"The mother of all stem cells is the fertilized egg," he said.

The fertilized egg multiplies and becomes a blastocyst. A blastocyst
is a hollow sphere that contains embryonic stem cells.

The blastocyst is what goes into the uterus and develops into a baby,
Sanchez-Ramos said. In stem-cell research, the "inner cell mass"
would be removed from the blastocyst for study.

"If you take only the inner cell mass, you cannot create a human
being," Sanchez-Ramos said. "You have to put the whole blastocyst
inside the uterus."

But opponents of embryonic stem cell research have moral objections
to removing the inner cell mass from the blastocyst.

Fertility clinics store extra blastocysts, which can become embryos
and then babies, but many go unused, Sanchez-Ramos said.

"We have hundreds and hundreds of frozen blastocysts that are not
being used and are due to be discarded but cannot be used for
research funded by the federal government," he said.

President Bush restricted federal funding for embryonic stem-cell
research to existing cell lines.

Stem-cell advocates see the prospect of new treatments for a host of
diseases, including spinal-cord injuries, diabetes and Alzheimer's.
The research is in its infancy, however.

"The biology is not advanced enough that we can use embryonic stem
cells for any neurologic disease," Sanchez-Ramos said.

SOURCE: The Ledger, FL
http://tinyurl.com/5x24f

* * *Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters