Disease Can Strike Without Warning
Parkinson's disease can strike anyone without warning and affects
everyone differently.

Posted on: Thursday, 4 November 2004, 15:00 CST

This week is Parkinson's Awareness Week and anyone wanting to learn
more about the disease can visit displays in the Stafford Mall and
the Timaru Hospital foyer, which are manned between 11am and 2pm each
day.

This year's theme is "keep moving, keep fit", and local Parkinson
sufferers Bill Hardie and Christine Furby couldn't agree more.

Mr Hardie was diagnosed with Parkinson disease in 1988. He was an
electrical contractor at the time and it was a busy time of the year.

The first sign that he had Parkinson was that his arms became unco-
ordinated.

"It was in April and when I went walking my arms didn't swing in time
like they do for normal people.

"When the doctor told me I had Parkinson's I was devastated. I kept
it to myself. My wife knew and one or two people guessed that
something was wrong.

"I didn't really now what was going to happen next, so I just tried
to carry on as normal and I think was able to."

Mr Hardie got some literature on the disease and said it was easier
to deal with once he knew the different stages and what he could
expect next.

The biggest problem is that it affects everyone differently and to
differing degrees, so there is always a little uncertainty.

On his side, however, was that he was fit. He played squash and went
running and he thinks that, and continuing to do as much as he can,
is what keeps him going.

"I've always had dogs and I still run Nicho (the family's german
shepherd). I push my bicycle down to Centennial Park and when I get
there I ride it and Nicho runs beside me. And I do other things. I
still mow the lawns and do the garden though it takes me longer than
it used to.

"I've always been interested in vintage cars and still go on runs. I
have an Essex Super 6."

Mr Hardie believes making sure you take your medicine on time and
having a positive attitude and continuing to keep fit are the most
important things someone suffering from Parkinson's can do.

And Mrs Furby agrees. She goes to weight classes at the Community
Trust Sports Centre once a week and keeps involved in the community.

She was first diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1997.

"I have the tremors and my muscles get tense so if I'm driving long
distances or something like that, I have to stop and rest. They just
get stiff and tense.

"But the tremors are resting tremors so when I'm busy doing something
they're not there.

"I have some problems with balance as well."

But Mrs Furby is a committed Christian and says she has not found
having the disease too traumatic.

She just puts her trust in God and enjoys each day as it comes.

Her involvement with the church is one of her focuses in life and she
keeps up her hobbies as well.

"I do find sewing a little harder to do now. It takes longer but you
just adjust to what you can and can't do. Modify things so you can do
them anyway."

Mrs Furby is also finding some positive effects from Ambrotose, a
natural remedy that has been discredited by some, but which she says
has made real improvements for her.

"My family and friends have noticed how much I have improved. My
symptoms are less pronounced.

"Some of the others in the group are trying it too, but it's
different for everyone. I know some people that have not had any
benefit from it."

Both Mrs Furby and Mr Hardie agree that the more knowledge you have
the easier it is to cope.

As the saying goes -- knowledge is power.

The best way to get that information, they say, is to join Parkinson
South Canterbury.

Field officer Margaret Bates agreed saying that was her role -- to
support people and give them all the information available.

Locally, she had 89 members and they were just the ones that had
joined the society. She had heard of others who had the disease and
were not members, so it did affect quite a number of people.

Mrs Bates said making exercise part of everyday living was
particularly important for people with Parkinson's. It not only
helped improve body strength and muscle tone but slowed the
progression of the condition.

"As well as improving general health and well-being, exercise seems
to improve the body's response to dopamine -- a component of most
Parkinson's medications.

"People with Parkinson's are advised to get around 20 to 30 minutes
of exercise every day.

"Stretching exercises are particularly beneficial."

Mrs Bates said sticking to a good, healthy diet was also important.

She said Parkinson sufferers tended to think the same way, but could
be slow to react, have difficulty communicating and could appear
unresponsive.

A lack of understanding from people around them often added to their
distress.

"My job is not only working with the patients but with the families
as well and making sure they have the information they need.

"Some GPs just tell them they have Parkinson's and give them a
pamphlet. Others provide more support but information is essential,"
she said.

By Helen Pickering

Health Reporter

SOURCE: RedNova.com, TX
http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=100304

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters