Bush's Victory Puts Focus On Morality, Its Effect On Policy
By Elizabeth Lynch - Poughkeepsie Journal

Saturday, November 6, 2004

The moral issues that guided voters' decision will have far-reaching
policy implications over the next four years. Stem cell research,
abortion and a constitutional amendment on marriage all could see
substantial policy shifts now President Bush has been reelected.

Bush was elected with strong backing from conservative Republicans
and now he's been returned to office, he will be expected to push
their agenda through.

''Moral issues are most important,'' Fishkill resident Joel Mojica
said Tuesday after casting his ballot for Bush, as did his wife,
Rachel. ''As a believer in God, I had to be very careful who I voted
for.''

''Someone of moral values is very important for our future,'' Rachel
Mojica said Tuesday.

In his next term, Bush will be faced with many moral decisions that
will affect future policy, including the fact he likely will appoint
at least one new member to the U.S. Supreme Court. Many expect his
appointment to be someone who will strictly interpret the U.S.
Constitution.

''The Supreme Court is a small part of this,'' said Helen Westover,
who is a pro-life activist. ''This is a religious country. It wasn't
the terrorism, it wasn't the economy. It was moral issues.''

The focus on moral issues is a good thing, said the Rev. Bruce
Chilton, a religion professor at Bard College and rector of St. John
the Evangelist Church in Barrytown.

But, he said, the issues at stake must expand beyond a narrow few to
include the war in Iraq, capital punishment, health care and many
others.

''If you really want to have a debate about life, it has to go far
beyond making disapproving noises about abortion and stem cell
research,'' Chilton said. ''Selective morality is no morality at all.
You have to be consistent in your ethical consideration.''

The strength of the conservatives was possible in part, Chilton said,
because those who hold opposing viewpoints are uncomfortable
discussing moral issues.

''Policy judgment will always include a moral consideration,''
Chilton said.

Jennifer Shagan, founder of the Dutchess County National Organization
for Women, said debating moral issues is difficult.

''Unfortunately, the (conservative) right believes that their way is
always right and they justify that with their religious beliefs. If
you don't agree with their beliefs then [they argue that] you're not
moral,'' she said.

Political science professors have said the election results highlight
the political shift to the conservative right.

''The majority of America is conservative, has been and has finally
found its voice,'' Westover said. ''The reality is the issues up in
the minds of the voters were moral issues.''

Wappingers Falls resident Terry Tornatore, who has early onset
Parkinson's disease, supported Bush, despite the fact the president
has restricted federal financing for human embryonic stem cell
research and opposes destroying human embryos to harvest the stem
cells.

''Just because it's a potential winner doesn't mean that it's right
to do,'' Tornatore said. ''It goes against the Catholic faith that I
believe in. Embryonic stem cell research should not be where we're
focusing.''

Besides, Tornatore said, there are private funding sources that can
continue to support the research.

''He's saying there will be no more federal funds,'' Tornatore said.

Cure could be slowed

But East Fishkill resident Thomas Rubeo, who has had Parkinson's for
more than 15 years, and his wife Gloria, voted for Kerry. They
believe stem cell research -- and as a result a cure for Parkinson's -
- will be slowed under Bush.

''I think the moral issues have to be decided by the person, the
individual. I don't think any blatant endorsement or pressure should
come from any religious group,'' Thomas Rubeo said.

The Rubeos believe both federal and private money should support stem
cell research and say there are many avenues where stem cells can be
obtained, including umbilical cords, as well as frozen embryos that
must be destroyed.

''At our age, we feel that what we're doing is going to benefit for
our children and our children's children,'' Thomas Rubeo said. ''We
don't expect a cure in our lifetime.''

Town of Poughkeepsie resident Ken Robinson, who has been in an 18-
year gay relationship, said he expects a constitutional amendment
seeking to define marriage as only between a man and a women will be
pushed forward again.

''I think it has a reasonable chance of passing, but I think there
are enough socially responsible Republicans who are not kowtowing to
the evangelical base.''

Bush's election, Robinson said, is ''going to set us back probably to
the 1950s because of his unwillingness to accept the scientific fact
that gays are born gay and it is not a choice,'' Robinson said.
''Gays are the equal opportunity minority group to pick on now.''

Marti Armstrong, who counsels women who have had abortions and who is
involved in the pro-life movement, said she believes the pro-life
issues were the ''elephant in the room'' no one wanted to talk about.

''As soon as you have this trend away from (the moral issues), it's
not going to work,'' said Armstrong, referring to gay marriage, stem
cell research and abortion.

But abortion she said, was the most important of them and that there
should be policy changes to implement the pro-life agenda.

''I don't know if we are or not, but I think it will be a terrible
mistake if we don't,'' Armstrong said.

Bush's election means funding for Planned Parenthood of the Mid-
Hudson likely is in jeopardy, said the organization's executive
director, Steven White.

But he said Roe V. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that granted
women the right to choose an abortion, also is in jeopardy, ''which
would be an enormous setback for the women and men of this country.

'''We've enjoyed 30 years of legal and safe abortion, to go back to
that -- to unsafe and illegal abortions would be an absolute human
tragedy,'' White said.

Shagan doesn't believe the option to have an abortion will be
eliminated.

''If you try to take away choice, I think at this point it would
start some kind of civil war,'' she said. ''This is an attack.''

Elizabeth Lynch can be reached at [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: Poughkeepsie Journal, NY
http://tinyurl.com/4dlpr

* * * Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters