Story location: http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,62513,00.html

07:00 AM Mar. 03, 2004 PT

Faced with limitations on stem-cell research from the Bush administration, a
Harvard scientist has raised his own money and developed 17 new batches of
stem cells, which he's offering to any researcher who needs them for just
the cost of shipping.

In August 2001, President Bush said in a public address that because he
believed the research was morally questionable, no federal funds could be
used for embryonic stem-cell research. Researchers using government funds
would have to use the stem-cell lines that already existed. Bush said at the
time that there were more than 60 lines registered with the National
Institutes of Health, but that number in reality was closer to 10.

<http://network.realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/lycoswired/ros/300x
250/st/ss/a/13285257@x15%20target=> NIH registry
<http://stemcells.nih.gov/registry/> . Six to nine months would pass (before
we got a response)," Melton said. "I sort of gave up on trying a couple
years ago and focused my efforts on creating my own."

Researchers have encountered various problems when trying to access
stem-cell lines from the NIH, Melton said. The lines they want may not be
available; the NIH may send the cells with restrictions on what experiments
the researchers are permitted to do; the researchers might have to report
their progress to the NIH every other day; or the stem-cell line might be
very expensive.

On Tuesday night, two Congress members wrote to Bush criticizing his
policies on stem cells. Rep. Henry Waxman (D-California) and Rep. Louise
Slaughter (D-New York) said he and the NIH misled scientists and the public
by saying more than 64 stem cell lines were available. The NIH denied the
accusation, saying it's still unclear how many lines are available.

On Wednesday morning, Art Caplan <http://bioethics.upenn.edu> , director of
the bioethics program at the University of Pennsylvania, and more than 130
other leaders in stem cell science, sent a letter
<http://www.bioethics.net/openletter.php>  of protest to the president for
changes he made to his Council <http://www.bioethics.gov>  on Bioethics,
which advises the president on stem cells, cloning and other biological
science issues. The letter said the changes threatened the credibility of
the panel by trying to force it to conform with Bush's views.

Melton said he's unconcerned about any political connotations his work might
have. "I'm not a politician, I think that's obvious, and the mission of my
lab and the university is a scientific one. So we shouldn't be concerned
about the political aspects of this."

Melton is motivated by more than just scientific curiosity -- his 9-year-old
son has type 1 diabetes, which requires daily insulin injections. Melton
shifted gears several years ago after a career of studying the early
development of frogs. He saw stem cells as a potential cure for his son's
disease. Now, he heads up one of the leading labs in the country, working to
create insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells from stem cells.

Stem cells, taken from 4-day-old embryos, are a mass of about 100 cells with
the ability to become any type of cell in the human body. Researchers are
working on ways to force stem cells to differentiate into cells potentially
useful in therapies -- for example, those that produce insulin to treat
diabetes, or neurons to replace those damaged in the brains of Parkinson's
disease patients.

Melton and his colleagues used private money donated by the Juvenile
Diabetes Research Foundation <http://www.jdf.org>  and the Howard Hughes
Medical Institute <http://www.hhmi.org/> . They extracted the stem cells
from embryos donated by the fertility clinic Boston IVF.

Seeking out private money is becoming something of a trend among stem-cell
researchers. California activists have proposed a $3 billion ballot
initiative to finance embryonic stem-cell research. And New Jersey Gov.
James E. McGreevey recently allocated $6.5 million of the state's budget to
stem-cell research at Rutgers University, and said he hopes to pump $50
million into the research over the next five years.

Harvard has launched its own privately funded center on stem-cell research.
The effort began as a collaboration with Boston IVF in 2001 -- the fertility
clinic would supply Harvard researchers with frozen embryos, left over after
in vitro fertilization treatments, that would otherwise have been discarded.
The university is now building a new facility to house the Harvard Stem Cell
Institute. But until it's finished, Melton and his colleagues have to be
careful not to use any federally funded equipment or supplies for their
embryonic stem-cell research.

"We used a room in a basement not previously used for experiments," Melton
said. "It reminds me of when I was in kindergarten and I got a sticker for
being a good boy or a bad boy. We put red stickers on boxes we can get
materials from if we're doing experiments with these cells. We keep things
segregated."

The researchers describe their stem-cell lines online in the March 3 issue
of the New England Journal of <http://www.nejm.org>  Medicine; the
information will also be published in the March 25 print edition of the
journal.

End of story