Illinois Candidate Makes Parkinson's An Issue
Former journalist says incumbent too weak
Disease does not define him, rival insists

SHARON COHEN ... ASSOCIATED PRESS

CORDOVA, Ill.—His walk is a bit stiff, his voice is soft and his
words are sometimes a bit slurred, but as U.S. Representative Lane
Evans wades through a crowd of supporters this night, he is eager to
deliver a message.

The country band, The Posse, stops playing and the drinks stop
flowing as Evans takes the microphone. The congressman has heard the
whispers — that after nine years of fighting Parkinson's disease, he
should call it quits.

That, he says, is not going to happen. He's still primed for a fight.
"I may be slow," he says with a slight smile, "but I know which way
to go."

The blue-jean crowd, perched on long benches, stands and cheers.
These are die-hard Democrats: union members, seniors, a few farmers.
Some are wearing "Thank Heavens for Lane Evans" T-shirts. They all
know the congressman is ill. They insist it doesn't matter.

But Evans' health has been a campaign issue ever since his Republican
opponent, Andrea Zinga, announced her candidacy and declared she was
"sorry to report" the congressman no longer has the physical stamina
for the job.

"I don't see how you can do a job as strenuous as being an advocate
for people night and day when your health is a preoccupation," says
Zinga, a former CNN anchor and reporter.

Zinga says the Number 1 issue in the race is jobs, and she blames the
11-term congressman for not doing enough to keep high-paying
manufacturing jobs in the district. But it's also legitimate, she
says, to call attention to Evans' health.

"This has nothing to do with disabled people," she says. "It has
everything to do with one man doing one job."

A candidate's health rarely surfaces as a campaign issue in the
United States, and this is even more the case in Canada, where being
a quadriplegic did not stop Conservative Steven Fletcher from
defeating former Winnipeg mayor Glen Murray in the last federal
election. So the pointed questions about Evans' illness have angered
some supporters and stirred debate among others about what role a
medical condition should play in an election.

Evans says having Parkinson's — a progressive neurological disease —
does not define him as a private citizen or a public official.

"I'm a former Marine," he says. "I come from a Catholic upbringing
and a working-class family. Those things say much more about me than
some illness I have."

Evans, 53, says his battle with Parkinson's has made him more aware
of the shortcomings of the country's health care system.

"What it taught me is there are a lot of people who are falling
through the cracks and can't afford the medications that I can as a
member of Congress," he says.

This is the first time Evans' health has been addressed so bluntly
during a campaign. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1995 but
didn't go public for three years, worried the revelation would
stigmatize him.

He no longer drives and has trouble with hand-eye co-ordination. He
needs extra time to get out of a car and often a helping hand to get
up from a chair. He also works with a speech therapist weekly.

But his illness, he insists, "doesn't prevent me from doing my job
365 days a year."

While Zinga hopes to replace Evans, she says she isn't necessarily
advocating his retirement.

"I'm not saying the man can't work," she says. "He presumably has a
body of knowledge from his years in Congress. He is able to be a
lobbyist or a consultant."

But Evans sees his future in just one place — Congress. He says his
work and supporters keep him going.

"I live for this job," he says.

"I would give it up very reluctantly. And I don't see it happening,
unless it's the ballot box — or the pine box."

SOURCE: The Toronto Star
http://tinyurl.com/6kqqs

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
Please place this address in your address book
Please purge all others

Web site: Parkinsons Resources on the WWWeb
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters